October 26, 2008

How to Pray?

Many people struggle with prayer. We used to. They want to know answers like; How do I pray, what do I say, should I be quiet or talk out loud, do I bow my head, what do I call him?

Don't worry God doesn't care about your form, he just wants to hear from you! He's not counting your stutters or stumbles or snickering if you repeat yourself. He won't be angry if you you forget someone or if you only pray once a day. He just wants to hear what's in your heart and hear from you as often as possible.

For some it works best when prayer is Often and Like a Conversation; Whenever you need to, whenever you want to (and especially when you don't want to). In the morning, at mealtime, while driving, during breaks, at nap time, when someone is hurt, when you see an ambulance, when someone is sick, at stop lights, at bedtime, when someone asks.

For others it is more Organized and Patterned; Prayer books help you find the words you want to say and many are categorized by subject or situations. Here's a handy pattern to refer to when trying to get your prayer thoughts in order. It's also a great way to teach your kids where to begin...
ACTS

A - Adore; Tell God how great he is!!
God you are awesome, beautiful, creator, defying, eager, fulfilling, glorious, holy...

C - Confess; Tell God something you've done.
Forgive me for putting my housework above my prayers today.

T - Thank; Thank God for something or someone.
Thank you for my amazing friend Abby.

S - Seek; Ask God's help with something.
Please watch over my husband and heal his sickness.

With teaching your kids how to pray - do whatever works for you! Make it a conversation or make it more formal - But just do it! Show them how to connect with their God. Just like tying their shoes or making their bed, they're waiting for someone to teach them. But don't worry because they won't count your stumbles or stutters either.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philipplians 4:6

No comments: